Tuesday 13 March 2012

The Common Thread that Bound Us Together

It was my brothers 18th that I truly realised the importance of the people surrounding me. We had just left largo as some shenanigan went down (which often happens with us) and each of us slowly made our way to sirens.  Looking around I saw each of us laughing and so happy with each other and it was then I had an epiphany. I recognized the importance of each of them and began to comprehend what we are together.

The first person I saw dancing around me is someone who I could not live without. He can make me so angry and, at times, makes my life so much harder. However, this person brings so much joy and happiness in my life, especially with his inappropriate sense of humour.  Despite everything, I love him so much and will always do my best to look out for him. He is yet to realise just how much I would do for him.

I look to my left, and there is she is, my best friend. Two souls intertwined so closely that we have the ability to know exactly how each other is thinking and feeling. I really could not imagine my life without this person. She always makes me smile and I know she will always be there for me, and I for her. All my memories in life have her in them and in so many ways she is like a soul mate. She is the greatest person I know and I’m honoured to have her in my life. I am what I am because of her.

I look ahead, and there cornered between two girls, is another amazing person. Someone, who to me has become a sister. This person is always there and this year we have become a lot closer. She is beautiful, both inside and out, and someday I hope I can repay her for all she does for me. I love this person a great deal and my memories with her endless.

I think back briefly to who is waiting for us at home. This person is like my brother. He has been through so much and I truly admire his ability to come out of it as such a strong person. The night felt incomplete without him, as he is someone who puts a smile on all our faces and will always look out for us no matter what. Under his exterior, is a heart of gold, and he is always, always about the love.

Above me, climbing the pole like a monkey is someone who, this year, I have become closer with. Again someone who has experienced grief that we wish we could take away. That’s the thing about my family, no matter how long it has been since we have spoken, when we need each other, each of us is there automatically- no questions asked. This person is admirable and is always trying to remain strong, when we know deep down he is hurting. He is also very dear to my heart.

Standing and watching is someone who, despite his hardships, is still the funniest man I know. His one-liners have the ability to leave each of us in fits of laughter and I’m so glad to see slowly that fragments of his old self are coming back. Each of us holds a special place for this person and love him to bits.

Before me, smiling with that same creep smile is a dear friend. She is so special to me, and one that has been with me through it all. She has become my family, as well as a best friend. One described this person, myself and another mentioned above as inseparable- a description, which fits us three well. I love this girl, and my memories with her date back to primary school. I am so grateful to share my life with her and cannot wait for many more memories to be made. My life wouldn’t be what it is today without her.
There are several other friends surrounding us, and they have become an extension to my family. So many memories and laughter have been shared with these people. These people have let us in and recognised who we really are. In turn, one great thing about us is that we are accepting and caring and bring these people in and let them become a part of us. At times I feel that this is our biggest downfall as we trust people so easily and always look for the best in them, and sometimes this backfires on us.

Then there is me. I don’t really know who I’ am yet. I’m still in the process of discovery. All I know is that I could not have gotten through this year, or my life, without each of these people. They are a part of me and mean everything to me.
Each of us has been through so much in our lives- perhaps this is why we are so protective of one another, we don’t want to see any of us hurting or allow any one to destroy what we are. No matter where our lives have taken us we always come back to each other. Sure, we drive each other insane and there is the fair share of fighting but at the end of the day it all comes back to love. All that is certain in this crazy world is each other and we will each do anything in our power to ensure this. To some, we may be viewed as crazy, alcoholic maniacs, but I wouldn’t want it any other way….



No comments:

Post a Comment